Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Music that gets me through.

Watching the VMA's is a must every year - I love award shows, period. When I was a kid, we'd gather around the TV to watch the Oscars. It was the ONLY night of the year when we could A) eat in front of the TV, and B) order pizza. It was the biggest, biggest treat.

These days, award shows still give me a thrill. Especially all of the ones that are music-related... yea, I know the performances are often lip-synced, and over the top, and I really rarely like rap performances on them, for some reason. Maybe I like my rap pre-produced?
Anyway, it got me thinking about the music that inspires me, that really keeps me going. It changes all the time, but this is the stuff I'm currently hooked on.



I actually just heard this for the first time today. I'm not crazy about Susan Boyle, although I think she has great talent... but Wild Horses has got to be one of the most beautiful, endlessly gorgeous songs of all time. And the way her voice reaches up to the notes in the chorus... I just tear up thinking about it. It's lovely.



I watch this video all of the time. It's some school music teacher who loves Tori, and taught a bunch of songs to his kids... this one is my favorite. The looks on their faces are so sweet. Doesn't hurt that the song kicks ass, either.




Somebody's Youtube comment on this song says "years can go by, and then some brutal sunday morning finds me singing it like it were my soulcry." That's exactly how I feel. I know every word, every beat, and even though the lyrics seem depressing, it really ends up being uplifting for me.



This song has a really deep connection with me... I actually heard it for the first time in college, long before Sara was signed to a record label. She was a member of the Awaken acapella group at UCLA, and I was a member of Naked Voices at UCSB, and I saw them perform this and bought the CD. I wish I could upload the acapella version, because it's even better than this one. This song got me through a lot of bad times.



Rufus... oh, Rufus. You make me weak in the knees with your fabulous self. I could pick another dozen songs I love just as much as this one... Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk, your Across the Universe or Hallelujah covers, but this song is killer.




This is the best audio quality I could find on the live version of this song, which is the way I like it best. Ben Folds can really write a sweet, touching song... but the audience participation he does with this track always puts a giant knot in my throat. The way they sing back to him, and they know it all, and it gives me such joyful squishies.

I could go on forever here. These don't include my favorite dance songs, or R&B, or rock, and it's a little light on the dudes. It's just a few of my introspective tunes, that I thought you'd enjoy! What song makes your heart sing?

3 comments:

  1. Excellent post. You have great taste in music. In terms of Wild Horses though...I want you to go listen to the Otis Clay version of it. It's the most raw, heartbreaking version I've ever heard. Really earthy and raw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, Ben Folds... takes me back to high school! I also adore that Sara Bareilles song. They danced to it on my favorite show (So You Think You Can Dance), and it was one of the most powerful pieces I'd ever seen to one of the most powerful songs I'd ever heard. All great choices here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The addiction dance! It's one of my favorite shows.

    ReplyDelete