Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Hello there, you.

I am by every definition a Big Girl.

I stand 5'10 and 3/4 inches tall exactly, I weigh... enough. I have been considered plus-sized, or overweight, during every chapter of my life. I wore adult clothing by the time I was 8, and sport a size 10 shoe. A few of the compact cars out there make me feel like Alice after consuming the "Eat Me" cake, growing unstoppably bigger in a world staying just the same size. In third world countries, I am Gulliver, marauder of Lilliput. I am, by every definition, a Big Girl.

Before I go any further, let me say that this is not an angry space. Sure, there are times when my trials overwhelm me, but this is to be a location of much joy. I love my body. I love my life, and the people who I am lucky enough to have in it. There will be no pity parties here. This is to be a celebration of me.

So, where to begin?
I am suddenly overtaken by a total feeling of helplessness. How do I start telling you both the story of my past, and letting you into my future, and do both with wit and humor? Such a tall tale... but I've got the height for it. Let's begin by catching you up to where I am now.

I am a resident of Scottsdale, Arizona. I am a workaholic, but my work will not be a part of what I write here. It's just not a good idea in a recession, darlings. Suffice it to say that I have multiple jobs, doing multiple things. They are of multiple importance.

I live in an apartment, and share a great deal of time with a cat and a boyfriend. There used to be fish, and there wasn't always so much STUFF, but for the most part, my "setting settings" have stayed much the same since arriving here 2 years ago. I am settled, and happy, and loved.

Welcome to my world. I may not be skinny, but there is so much more to life than regretting what was never possible to begin with... and all of that will be contained here. The Lilliputians be damned.

8 comments:

  1. You are ridiculously beautiful. And you're my future Jewish Lesbian Wife. And I love you. And I'm totally pimping you out now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen sista and welcome to bloggy land.

    High fives from one big woman to another!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I come from your pimp ^up there^....us big girls? We stick together. I think I shall love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to bloggy land. Any friend of Miss Graces's is a friend of mine.

    You have been added to my reader and I'll come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the blogosphere! Miss Grace is pimping you out allll over the internet. ;)

    I am *much* shorter than you, but I won't hold your height against you if you can overlook my vertical challenge.

    See what I did there? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice, Daph - it's about time you did this. You're a writer, through and through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I "favorited" all of you! Why Mom Drinks Rum, I've actually been reading you for a while now :P. Thank you for such kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great, Daph! You are a writer (which I've had the pleasure of knowing for over 10 years now) and I am really excited to be able to read more!

    Thanks for following me, too. I can use all the support I can get!

    ReplyDelete