Sunday, September 6, 2009


I was watching all of the slick, oiled-up athletes on NBC this morning while meandering through my work day... they're amazing, aren't they?

Pure muscle, pure athleticism, and their bodies just work like springs when that starting shot is fired. Usain Bolt is so cute with his little poses, too. Watching Olympic-style competitions is my favorite, because they're just in their element. Centered and focused and ready to fly.


I'm no athlete, but I swam for nearly 14 years. The closest I ever got to fame was participation in a couple of relay races at the junior olympics - which are not as important or special as they sound. I didn't even capitalize them, so there's your clue. One summer I took tennis lessons, another involved volleyball camp, and what else... perhaps there was basketball at some point? I never really caught on to any of it, even though I do remember teeny things... how to serve, how to spike, etc.


I quit swimming around 15 or 16... I just couldn't handle the thought of moving down the pool one. more. time. I was done. So up until this past year, my workouts have consisted of the gym, my IPod strapped to my head, trying to think of anything but the fact that I'm exercising. Right now.

God bless gyms with TV'S on the machines, or pacing guides, or plug-ins for your IPod, ANYTHING that gets me more distracted. And yes, I know that you burn more calories when you actually focus on the task at hand and concentrate on giving 100%. I don't care, it hurts.


But I've found a solution, for the time being. I finally found a Pilates studio that I can afford, and I freaking LOVE it. Every movement feels woman-centric and graceful and hard, but not so hard that I want to die. And I feel like I do better from class to class. The instructors are older, married, hilarious, and they've got great bodies, but not so great that I don't think I can get there myself. They've stayed late to show me moves, come over and gently correct my form... they're so good to me, and I leave feeling a little more alive. I felt that way leaving Bikram Yoga too, but the dizzy spells and nausea just didn't seem worth it for the end result.


I'm hoping I really stick with Pilates and make a go of it. I haven't lost weight since I started, but I feel significantly stronger. And I'm hoping this post forces me to get my ass to the studio asap, since I haven't been able to attend in a week. Tomorrow morning. Goal set. Now I have to go, because I wrote about it online. Right?



No comments:

Post a Comment